As we’ve grown, we’ve seen what it means to be part of a global community. We partner with international organizations like the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF) to keep our marketplace free of illegal merchandise, we belong to TechNet and the Internet Association to foster innovation and empower people through the open internet, and we work with law enforcement agencies to keep our community safe.
Still, we know that the most important part of our community is its members - and hey, that’s you! (Go you.) So whether you’re curious about what you can buy and sell on letgo or what type of conduct we prohibit on our app, use these guidelines to help us keep our community safe, welcoming, and inclusive.
letgo community guidelines
Not sure if you can sell your homemade apple cider jelly or buy a full-size replica battleaxe? The following are some guidelines you should following when using letgo. It is by no means exhaustive! We will take appropriate actions with respect to items or users we feel are abusing or not conducive to our community. However, these guidelines should give you a general sense of how to behave on letgo. If you see anyone violating these guidelines, please report them to us using the Report a User or Report a Product feature.
Thanks for being a part of our community!
- Great deals require trust. Act with integrity.
- letgo is more than an app, it’s a community.
- If it’s not yours to sell, it’s not for us.
- We follow the law, and you should too.
- Understand and respect our Prohibited Items guidelines:
- Adult content
- Drugs & alcohol
- Weapons and Other Dangerous Items
Great deals require trust. Act with integrity.
letgo makes it easier than ever to find great deals in your neighborhood, but we can’t do it alone. Every deal requires trust. Accurately and fairly represent yourself and the items you’re buying or selling on letgo. Attempts to deceive or defraud users are not tolerated.
- Attempts to lure users off of letgo to other services are prohibited
- Negotiate prices in good faith, and don’t list items at a price at which you don’t intend to sell
- You may not circumvent our anti-spam and anti-fraud efforts (this includes multiple postings of the same item)
- All items for sale should include photos that are clear, well-lit, and accurately represent what you’re selling
letgo is more than an app, it’s a community.
We built a community around letting go of old stuff, but we think it’s important to hang onto the values you learned as a kid. We’re talking about the basics: treat others as you’d like to be treated and do what you say you will. Remember, most of the people you talk to on letgo are your neighbors.
- Messages that are intended to harass, intimidate, threaten, or demean another user
- Items that promote or support hate groups
- Items that depict or glorify violence
- Racial slurs
If it’s not yours to sell, it’s not for us.
You must rightfully own anything you intend to sell on letgo. We have a zero tolerance policy for stolen goods. Remember, violating someone else’s intellectual property is a form of theft. This means counterfeit goods or replicas that are being sold without permission from the rightful owner aren’t allowed.
Prohibited items include:
- Counterfeit goods
- Replicas that are sold without consent from the trademark owner
- Stocks and other securities, as well as other non-transferable items
- Stolen goods
- Hacking tools
- Vehicles where you are not the titleholder
We follow the law, and you should too.
- Postings or messages that are defamatory, libelous, fraudulent or otherwise violate the law.
- Postings or messages that violate right of publicity or privacy.
- Posting or transmitting any virus, worm, Trojan horse, Easter egg, time bomb, spyware or other computer code, file or program that’s or is potentially harmful or invasive or intended to damage or hijack the operation of, or to monitor the use of, any hardware, software or equipment (each, a “Virus”).
- Using letgo for any purpose that’s fraudulent or unlawful.
- Harvesting or collecting information about our users or directing our users to external websites or apps to harvest or collect their information.
- Interfering with or disrupting the operation of letgo or our servers or networks.
- Restricting or inhibiting any other person from using letgo.
- Reproducing, modifying, distributing or otherwise exploiting any portion of letgo except as authorized by us.
- Reverse engineering, decompiling or disassembling any portion of letgo.
- Systematically downloading our content.
- Unless you’re a public search engine, using any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application or other manual or automatic device to retrieve, index, “scrape,” “data mine” or otherwise gather our content.
- Asking a prospective buyer or renter questions about their sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, or family status.
Understand and respect our Prohibited Items guidelines:
- Adult Toys
Drugs & alcohol
- Alcoholic products
- E-cigarettes and e-juice
- Illegal Drugs
- Prescription drugs or medical devices
- Over-the-counter drugs and supplements
Keep the puppy photos for your other social media. We love animals, but you can’t use our app to sell them.
Prohibited listings include:
- Live animals (including coral)
- Skin and bones from endangered or protected species
- Party trays of perishable food
- Homemade jams and jellies
- Baby food and formula
Whether you’re an amazing DJ in your free time, or are known as that friend who can fix anything, you can turn your passion into a profession by offering your service to others on letgo. We currently don’t allow some professional services like legal, financial, or most medical services. Additionally, you can’t offer to do something illegal for someone else - like unlocking their phone. See below for a list of prohibited services.
Prohibited services include:
- Financial Services (tax filing and preparation, insurance, loans, and credit scoring)
- Legal Services (debt collection, will preparation, legal advice)
- Medical Services (chiropractic care, cosmetic services like Botox)
- Escort Services, companionship, matchmaking
- Massage services
- Services which are themselves illegal (unlocking phones and other hardware) or may include illegal activity
- Services related to alcohol or drugs
- Services involving guns or other weapons
- Affiliate or pyramid schemes
- Services making extreme or unrealistic promises (“Lose 50 lbs in a week!”, “Cure cancer!”)
We don’t allow spam on our app - not the meat product and not the annoying, untargeted behavior that clogs up the internet. Don’t repeatedly post the same products, and don’t start a conversation with someone unless you're actually interested in buying their item.
Prohibited items include:
- Repeated listings of the same item
- Mass messages sent without the intent of buying or selling items on letgo
Weapons and Other Dangerous Items
Your safety will always be letgo’s top priority. That’s why we prohibit dangerous items like firearms, fireworks, or items that have been widely recalled.
Prohibited items include:
- All firearms, accessories and ammunition
- Airsoft, BB, or other novelty guns that do not clearly display an orange safety tip
- Burglary Tools
- Pesticides, tear gas, and other hazardous chemicals or controlled substances
The policies above cover most of what isn’t allowed, but are not exhaustive. We’ll remove any item we feel is harmful to the letgo community.
Other prohibited items that are commonly posted are listed below.
Prohibited items include:
- Used cosmetics
- Lottery tickets and other sweepstakes or gambling
- Items obtained through government assistance
- Bodily fluids such as breast milk
- Sale of currency as a product (cryptocurrencies, euros, dollars, etc.). Collectibles are okay.